Sunday 1 May 2011

Chocolate fudge cupcakes and other Royal wedding bakes



Now unless you’ve been living under a rock you might have heard that there was a wedding this week.....I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, and obviously such a special occasion requires cake.


I didn’t want anything too time pressured so I kept it simple. I made my trusted Victoria sponge recipe but filled it with whipped cream and raspberries, topping it with more cream and a fruity version of the Union flag. I realised afterwards that I should have left more white showing...but that would’ve meant less fruit so clearly wasn’t going to happen!


Having bought a special royal wedding cake stand and cupcake toppers, I then chose to adapt my English Madeleine recipe into cupcakes by halving the quantities and baking the sponge in cupcake cases. The jam and coconut then goes on top. Simple!


The one new recipe was the chocolate fudge cupcakes – rich chocolate sponge with a tangy chocolate topping. A winner for any occasion!

Ingredients

For the sponge:

125g self raising flour
25g cocoa powder
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk

For the topping:

25g unsalted butter
50g golden syrup
15g cocoa powder
125g icing sugar
25g cream cheese – I used Philadelphia

To decorate: fudge pieces

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.

Line a cupcake tin with paper cases.

Place all the ingredients for the sponge in a bowl and beat together until smooth and well combined.

Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean.

Remove from the tin as soon as possible and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Now make the topping: place the butter, syrup and cocoa powder in a saucepan and, stirring all the time, heat until the ingredients are melted.

Leave the pan to cool then beat in the icing sugar and cream cheese.

Spread the frosting over the cupcakes and sprinkle fudge pieces on top.

The cupcakes must be kept in the refrigerator.

Bask in the glory at the wonderful thing you have created.
Eat.


7 comments:

LandGirl1980 said...

Love the Union Flag on the top of your cake!! :)

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

Love love the sponge cake!

I possibly will be using that one for my Last Night of the Proms Party!

Cakelaw said...

Love both recipes, but I think the fruity ones are for me!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Very creative! Looks like a delicious wedding celebration indeed :)

Kim said...

It all looks great but that cake is amazing! Bookmarked to steal for the Diamond Jubilee!

Nom! said...

Love it! I was in Norway at the time of the wedding and created a similar feast, complete with royal carboard cupcake stand! Loved your bits in 'Mett me at the Cupcake Cafe' was so nicely surprised when saw your mention and your bit at the end! Loved it all :)

Baking Addict said...

These look great! Alas I was away during the royal wedding otherwise would have indulged in some baking madness :)