Sunday 16 August 2015

Chocolate and vanilla marble madeira bundt



  
I’ve had my square bundt tin for a while now and have frequently stopped to admire it, even giving it an appreciative pat every now and then (you think I’m joking……!).  What I haven’t done with it is bake.  Realising that this could not continue I decided to pick a simple cake that required no icing as I wanted to showcase the beauty of the tin.




The cake is based on the madeira cake recipe on the BBC Good Food website.  I find denser crumbed sponges work better in bundt tins than lighter ones and also retain better definition when baked, which is important when using a finely detailed tin.




Like a more domesticated Sir Mix-A-Lot, I like big bundts and I cannot lie (I may have made this joke before, apologies if I have, but it still made me laugh).  This is a 10 cup capacity bundt...it’s a big one!




I decided to make the sponges separately as it’s a big cake and wanted to avoid worrying about whether I’d divided the creamed mixture evenly; I know you can weigh it to ensure evenness but I couldn’t be bothered.  When the batter is quick to make like this one, there is no detriment to one batter sitting to one side and waiting for its compadre to be born.




For those who watch the Great British Bake Off, I am pleased to report that I got a crack on the top of my Madeira.  Sadly, being a bundt, this became the bottom on turning out so the world at large never got to see my glorious crack!





Ingredients

For the chocolate sponge:
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon chocolate extract - optional
170g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
50g ground almonds

For the vanilla sponge:
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g self raising flour
50g ground almonds


Method

Preheat the oven to 170C/fan oven 150C/340F/gas mark 3.

Generously grease a large bundt tin – I used cake release spray.

Start by making the chocolate sponge: beat together the butter and sugar until light and whippy.  Don’t skimp on this stage.

Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

Beat in the chocolate extract, if using.

Beat in the flour, cocoa powder and ground almonds.

Put to one side.

Now make the vanilla sponge following the same method but using vanilla extract instead of chocolate, and the adjusted amount of flour (it will be more in the vanilla cake – per the ingredients above – as there is no cocoa).

Spoon the batters alternately into the tin, then use a skewer to swirl them together.

Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before taking a bread knife (or other big knife) and levelling the top – I use the tin as a guide. This will ensure the base will be level when you turn it out.

Turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

Serve in generous slices.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

wow...this is so impressive. Perfect marbled effect and adorable bundt form. And the crack..you know what? I always cut that glorious golden crack to eat first :-)) Best part of the cake!

Sammie said...

Ooh what a beautiful cake. Perfect without frosting to show all the beautiful detail of the Bundt cake. Thank you for sharing. Sammie http://www.feastingisfun.com

sensibilia said...

I completely understand the pleasure you derive from patting your bundt tin! What a splendid creation.

Gloria Baker said...

I love how look this!!!
Absolutely beautiful!
xo

Cakelaw said...

I have never seen a square bundt before - v cool. Your cake turned out wonderfully.

Baking Addict said...

I've never seen a square bundt cake before. Your marbling is beautiful. Great cracks on the cake!

Anne said...

Oooh I have never seen a square bundt! Its awesome! The marble cake looks delicious too!

Jo said...

I pat inanimate objects too - my bundt tin, kitchen aid, new fabric... haha. You are not alone!

Impressive looking cake. If only Mary and Paul could marvel at your crack!

Snowy said...

Wow, what a great looking cake. I haven't seen a square bundt tin either, but it looks very impressive.

Choclette said...

Ooh, a square bundt. How absolutely brilliant is that? You don't have to answer, it is.

Maggie said...

Just catching up.......well you've got me now! I've never come across a square bundt before how amazing and I've always loved marble cake too.